There is a lot of great info out there on how we can slow the spread and protect ourselves from developing COVID-19. Hand washing, social distancing and self quarantine is a start, but many of us still have to work outside the home, get groceries and care for our loved ones. Plus, once the worst is over it will still be circulating in the population for time to come.
I’m not a medical professional and I’m not giving out medical advice, but there are a lot of common sense things we can do right now that will tilt the odds in our favor if we do come in contact with not just this coronavirus, but any virus. Many years ago I was a health coach, raw food chef and authored three bestselling raw food recipe books (Going Raw, Raw & Simple, Raw & Simple Detox). These are healthy tips we are practicing in our home and hope they can be helpful for you during this time.
1. Sleep is one of the best things you can do for your immune system. Poor quality sleep is associated with low immune function, brain fog, sugar cravings, mood and hormone imbalance. Fix your sleep and you can fix many health issues.
2. Don’t let fear takeover. If you are scrolling on your iPhone late at night reading coronavirus reports instead of sleeping you are adding stress and putting your nervous system into sympathetic fight or flight mode. Though this is happening on a mental level, your body responds the same as physical danger and stresses your adrenals, raises your heart rate and blood pressure, and down regulates your immune system. The longer you stay in this mindset the more acute stress you create. Turn off the news. Pray, meditate, practice breathwork (more on that at the end), watch a comedy, go for a walk, FaceTime with family and friends and cuddle your kids and fur babies.
3. Keep moving. Low impact exercise like walking, yoga and rebounding reduces stress hormones and keeps our lymphatic system moving and increases our white blood cell count. I wouldn’t recommend anything strenuous at this time unless you’re already in great shape and looking to maintain.
4. Avoid excess sugar, alcohol, and processed foods. I know fear of the unknown makes us reach for junky comfort food and I can totally relate, but eating excessively sugar laden or processed foods dampens our immune system, burdens the liver, increases inflammation and throws off our hormones. Also, avoid refined and polyunsaturated fatty acids like hydrogenated oil, soybean, sunflower, safflower, and canola oils which all cause lipid peroxidation which is associated with chronic inflammation, asthma, diabetes and atherosclerosis.
5. Eat real food and make every meal count. Our chances of whether we fend off this virus successfully really depends on how well our immune system is functioning and that can be fortified with what we put in our mouth. What group is most at risk besides the immunocompromised and those with lung issues? People with underlying conditions like heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes have the highest mortality. These are all diet related health conditions. This is your chance to steer the ship around and make good food choices. If possible, go with organic options. I know this will be much harder to come by as the days and weeks go on, but the less exposure to glyphosate, pesticides, and fungicides the better off you’ll be.
6. Focus on vitamins A, C, D, and E. These are all fairly easy to access and will help support our immune system without overstimulating it. – Get vitamin A (via beta carotene) by eating orange and yellow vegetables like butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots and even kale. As we age, converting beta carotene to usable vitamin A decreases, so focus on pre-formed vitamin A through eggs, butter and organ meats like beef liver if you’re older or have any type of gut dysfunction. Dessicated beef liver capsules are an easy way to get usable pre-formed A or a retinyl palmitate supplement if you’re vegan. – Vitamin C can be found in most fruits and vegetables and very cheap to supplement. Vitamin C is well known as an anti-viral and China is finding high dose intravenous Vitamin C very successful at treating severe coronavirus cases. We keep a variety of C supplements on hand like raw, whole food vitamin C, liposomal C, and Sufficient C for our toddler who loves it. – Vitamin D is needed for every metabolic function in our body as well as essential for maintaining a strong immune system. Getting it from the sun is the most superior form you can get. Use the app “dminder” that tells you when is the best time to soak up the sunshine depending on your geographical location. If you’re too far north, then supplement with D3-K2 drops. Every cell in our body has a receptor for vitamin D and the majority of the population is deficient. – Vitamin E is well known for being an antioxidant, but also powerful for the immune system and fighting infections. We really love PUFA protect from Mitolife, but any D-alpha-tocopherol (ideally in MCT oil) is great. –Probiotics and fermented foods have been shown to be helpful for immune function. We love sauerkraut with our meals and take spore based probiotics before bed.
7. Incorporate superfoods and superherbs. Garlic, ginger, turmeric, lemons, oranges, blueberries, green tea, chlorophyll rich foods like lettuce and other greens. Homemade bone broth, raw goats milk and colostrum are also great immune boosters if you have access.
8. Additional supplementation that we have on hand for prevention and in case of contact or infection:
-Quercetin + Zinc together every other day or daily if exposed or infected
-N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) can be a preventative as well as help break up mucus in the lungs. It is a precursor to glutathione and important if exposed or have active infection.
-Coated silver. This is similar to colloidal silver, but a much smaller particle size. It can be taken with water or diffused into the air. Better to take if exposed as opposed to taking daily. -Nascent iodine or kelp capsules to support thyroid function. Take daily. -Wild Oregano Oil if exposed or infection -Lysine daily if you have low immune function
-ECGC (green tea extract) if exposed or if you don’t have quercetin on hand
-Nebulized Glutathione. We are using GlutaStat from Glutagenic if exposed or suffering from loss of smell.
9. Let’s not forget CBD oil. It personally reduces my anxiety levels, lowers inflammatory aches and pain, fixes my headaches and cramps and improves my sleep. Read the product reviews on our website to see how people are using it to support good health. Also, there are promising studies on the anti-viral effects of cannabinoids though we have no idea if it’s effective for coronavirus.
10. Breathwork. Breathing can shift the nervous system from sympathetic (fight or flight mode) to parasympathetic (rest and digest mode). And the big bonus is that it exercises and strengthens the lungs which is so important if we develop a COVID-19 lung infection. Our good friend Sage Rader is a master breathwork teacher from NYC who is offering free Release and Restore Breathwork Zoom meet ups every day at 6pm EST. Click here for Zoom link.Meeting ID: 390 274 023 Password: 008483. Go to @sage.breath on Instagram for more info.
Lastly, please take this time to tell people in your life you love them. We care and appreciate all of our longtime customers that we have gotten to know over the years. We pray for your safety and peace during this time.
Much love, Judita & Matt
We are extending our 25% off sale for another week or until our supply runs out. We know many people are stocking up on food and supplements and wanted to make our products affordable for those who need them. Just enter discount code CBD25 at checkout.
Our fulfillment warehouse is following all CDC protocols for COVID-19. They are at max capacity right now and many workers are home with children, so order processing will be at least 2-3 days once placed. Also, allow for extra transit time for product to arrive.
Our hearts go out to everyone during this outbreak. So many of you have been with us for three years or more and we have close relationship with so many families. We’ve spoken to many of you over the phone or via email or Instagram. We know your names and smile when we see your comments and messages. We are praying for all of you and hope that we as a country can get through this together stronger than ever.
Join our news letter for 15% off your first order and special content and pricing.